Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A SPECIAL DAY OF REMEMBRANCE!

Ethne Stone
My Granddad: Cyril O. Burt

I don't really post much on here because I'm not that great at writing interesting things. My sisters are the writers, not me. Today, however, I felt the need to share some things that make today special.

Today marks 2 special events. First, it's veteran's day. The great day that we get to really show our thanks to those who fight for our freedom. For me, I always think of my Granddad. He served in WWII. I think he is one of the most patriotic people I have ever known.  The second event is my niece, Ethne's birthday. She would have been 5 years old today. 

Both events are very bittersweet to me. I miss my Granddad and my sweet niece Ethne terribly. However, I've been thinking a lot about the reactions I get when I tell people about Ethne and when I tell people about my Granddad passing away while on my mission. I get the usual "I'm so sorry to hear that." or "That is really sad." etc.... It is sad, but it's not. I want to share with you why.
For those of you who are unaware of the story of how Ethne died, I'm not going to go into details about it. All I will tell you is that it was the biggest trial in my life up to this point. You can go to my brother and sister's blog and read all about it from the beginning here: http://prayersforthefamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/beginning.html. It's a really great blog and they share all their experiences with coping with the challenges that come to them. 

When Ethne and my Granddad died the only thing that could help me through was the gospel. Prayer, scriptures, family, blessings... the whole works went in to it. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. We believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, he was able to overcome death. Because he overcame death, we can be with our families again.  It was the Atonement that helped me through it.

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." - Alma 7:11-12, The Book of Mormon

I know that I will see my Granddad and Ethne again. I know that through the blessings of the Temple, my family is sealed together for time and all eternity as we do our best to keep the commandments of God. I know that Heavenly Father loves each of us individually. I know that the Atonement isn't just there for when we sin, but it is also there for us when we are struggling. He knows what we feel, because he has suffered it just for us, so that we wouldn't have to be alone. 

So, although it's not easy, this is not a day of sadness, but rather, a day of happiness and remembrance. I am grateful to have the gospel in my life, because it is what brings me this happiness. 


If you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and would like know more about what we believe, go to mormon.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment